Do you really need to exfoliate? Whether you have dry skin, oily skin, or anything in between – the answer is yes!
But how often should you exfoliate? And what are some natural, nontoxic ways to do so? Read on to find out!
Skin is an amazing organ – it’s constantly protecting our bodies and renewing itself. Composed of several layers that that each have an important job, our skin sheds cells daily – you might be surprised (and even a little grossed out..) to find out how many! According to several studies on skin cells, the average person loses almost a million skin cells per day! All that dust that settles on your shelves and knick knacks in your home? Most of it is dead skin cells.
While it may be gross to think about, losing skin cells is an important part of the regeneration process. Exfoliation can aid this process, allowing your skin to regenerate more efficiently and leave it smoother in the process.
Exfoliation is simply the act of removing the top layer of skin by using some type of rough material. While chemical treatments are available, it’s completely unnecessary to expose your body to toxins in order to exfoliate. Natural treatments work wonderfully and are readily available!
How to Exfoliate Naturally
There are many ways to naturally exfoliate your skin! A few ideas to consider:
- Simply use a washcloth on your face and body when you shower.
- Use a dry body brush on your hands, feet and body. Don’t use a brush on your face, as it can be too abrasive.
- Mix a small amount of sugar with a carrier oil (such as olive oil or skin solution) to form a paste. Use it to slough away those dead skin cells everywhere (except the face, for the same reason)!
Check out Saga’s demonstration of an easy, non-toxic exfoliating facial you can do at home!
How Often Should You Exfoliate?
Exfoliating daily is unnecessary and can even lead to irritation, especially with the courser exfoliants like sugar scrubs. So – how often should you exfoliate? We recommend twice per week – slow down if irritation occurs. Be especially cautious not to over-exfoliate on sensitive areas, such as your face.
Overdid it? skin solution will help soothe the irritation.
Exfoliation Tips + Benefits
- Exfoliating regularly helps prevent breakouts caused by dead skin cells clogging pores.
- Exfoliation helps you get the most bang for your buck from your skin care products by allowing them to be absorbed more easily.
- Exfoliate in the shower for the best results. The warm environment softens the skin, allowing for easier skin cell removal.
- Gently pat dry and apply skin solution after to protect your skin while moisturizing, nourishing and replenishing natural oils.
When you help your skin do what it does naturally, you’ll see that smooth, glowing skin reveals itself more easily! Try it and see!